Monday, November 05, 2001
 
Dredging through the sludge of words which seems to live just below consciousness, looking for the term that describes thin wood with a pattern cut out of it. There's a type of saw specific to the purpose - I even have one, with blades for cutting silver - but I could not find the blasted word. I have quite precise ideas about the decor of this particular civilization, which is a consequence of the environment. But I don't have the terminology. A lunchtime trip might be in order to the library - two blocks away from work - to find a short, economical book on furnishings, decor, etc. Meanwhile my character (non OR universe) is lying in bed planning to take over the world. I gave up on the description of the shutters on his bedroom window and let him have his way. He hasn't yet decided how much of the world he wants to take over, but his aspirations are disconcerting to a novelist who wants to remain in control of her plot.

Response from Lynda




Couldn't find the stencil-like thing in What's What: a glossary of the physical world but discovered ARMATURE - an inner skeleton on which a pliant material is laid as it is being built up. I am sure there have been days I've needed that word.


Ameron will be relieved to know your would be Alexander isn't in the ORU.



Comments: Post a Comment


HOME