Monday, November 19, 2001
 
Klin Addiction
My biopsych class is into addiction now, and naturally I'm wondering about Sevolites. I think we discussed the possibility that highborn Vrellish are prone to getting 'space drunk' because reality skimming is a sort of high after a while. So there I am wondering if the mesotelencephalic dopamine system might vary in a Vrellish sevolite, and whether extremely Golden Demish, on the other hand, might have pronounced pleasure circuits for poetry.

PS Found the text book web site. It has multiple choice questions for each chapter. Sort of fun. Only got 70% on the comprehension test for the chapter I just read, unfortunately. Remarkable stuff, contingent tolerance, but be damned if I can get my head around the difference between it and situationally specific tolerance on a straight run. Let's see. Does "contingent" require the drug be in the system during the behavior of interest, in order for the subject to show tolerance under the influence. Mmm. What does that say about drunk drivers who claim they can drive okay. Maybe they are more tolerant than a novice drinker would be, provided they have driven home drunk before. Situational response is a 'pre-drug' thing. The body clues in (conditional Pavlovian stimulus=situation) and primes itself to counter-act the anticipated dose, in advance. I think that's got it. Sort of. I remember something from lecture about the situational response being "John Belushi" syndrome, meaning that addicts sometimes O.D. in novel settings on the same dose they would tolerate in a familiar one. Most amazing all around, in any case. Both of them. Contingent and situational.

None of which is getting to what I logged onto the blog to say, which is: according to Pinel drug withdrawl tends to manifest opposite symptoms to the drug. So a klin addict deprived of klin might be hyperactive?

Wonder if the withdrawl business bodes ill for the "sish-klin cycling" syndrome I've floated here and there. The notion is akin to "boose to get to sleep, coffee to wake up" syndrome with a Luverthanian kick to it. But if at least one of sish and klin is addictive (probably both I guess), would alternating between them cut it for an addict? Psychologically, I've always thought of klin as having like a mild, mellow sort of feel to it rather than any big buzz. Sish is more like amphetamines. Any opinions, on the medical side of things, to weigh in with?


Comments: Post a Comment


HOME