Monday, November 26, 2001
 
Marge Piercy
Nearly finished Woman on the Edge of Time. It's one of those books I wanted to like because of the spirit in which it was recommended. There have been some interesting nuggests. I hadn't seen men breast feeding in a sci fi novel before, for example. You might recall I toyed with the idea for Red Reach males and was startled by my sister, Holly's, shock at the notion and conviction any male that do that wouldn't be at all desirable as a male. Which I thought was quite fascinating. But I find Piercy's utopian society unsatisfying on the whole. She introduces loads of characters with little role apart from being exhibits for the enlightenment of the visitor. Maybe the "Brave New Worlds" 'tour of the facility device' is a bit too naked. Then there is the very blatant and unambiguous portrayal of the psychiatric profession as sadistic egotistical monsters. It might have been more interesting if there was more ambiguity about whether she was mad or not, as well as a gifted with the ability to cross worlds. It's just relentless and worse, unvaried. The protagonist, Connie, is frequently described as good at reaching out to others and yet her character is revealed largely through complaints about her own unhappiness and ill-usage. Then there's the plot. The cover says "only her sacrifice could save the future" but at three quarters of the way though there's been no more to indicate that than a single, vague conversation about her needing to get into social activism. I can't feel the lines of force driving plot and character behavior. The book was critically acclaimed in grand style, to judge by the reviews on the cover, so I'll have to classify this as one of the books I should have liked. However I am going to finish it, and it has got me thinking about the 70s and my reactions to things. Glad to have been introduced to the author in that regard. Don't know why I have to get so uncomfortable about not liking something. Maybe it is concern that I am not on the right wavelength. And I did enjoy some swatches of characterization and dialog. Alice Blue Bottom for example.


Comments: Post a Comment


HOME