Monday, January 28, 2002
 
I am here, honest
Feeling down after the message re: stem cell research post on RFF from David Brin that I cc'd you on. Re-read a bit of my short story Inheritance which I haven't edited and don't know when I'll ever get to, and felt personally frustrated about it not being "out there" in the fray, somehow, as well as uncomfortable about the hardening of attitudes. Anything to do with either money or reproductive technology seems to make people lose their minds in opposite directions. If money can be gained, no one asks whether the proportion of societal resources bend on the goal is worth it for mankind as a whole. But when improving ourselves is at issue, everything is supposed to be halted cold because any risk is too much risk. Or just plain "sacrilege" in some sense or another. I find the prospect of human research on the human genome scary, too. But I find the prospect of banning it even scarier. And I want a wide open process under which it is conducted. Something downright Reetion. Not illegal and hence by definition inaccessible to public scrutiny.


Comments: Post a Comment


HOME