Thursday, January 31, 2002
 
life, the universe, etc.
I think I miss my den. Construction downstairs. Trying to work on and off, usually too tired, on machine in the living room. No retreat. Radio blaring. Kids at my elbows. David lecturing on domestic misdemeaners. Feeling very gray this morning and overwhelmed by in-baskets. I'll be glad when I can retreat to my linux box, star office and a room with a door that closes. Maybe that's where my unprecidented writer's block is coming from.

The Jane Austen writing in the family parlour mystique has done generations of women writers a disservice. You didn't really think you could get any useful work done on a computer in the living room, did you??? If you're visible, you're available. I'm with Virginia Woolf on this one, and I'm single! Today I was sorely tempted to put a sign on one of the two tables in our meagre hole of a lunch room, "The Diogenes Club Table. Club rules apply." My book or papers are not there as a conversation piece; they're what I want to be doing!

Time for a mental health day. (Alison, Thursday 31 January 7-ish)


Comments: Post a Comment


HOME