Tuesday, January 15, 2002
 
Psych Faculty and me
Had a really enjoyable talk today with Kyle Matsuba, a member of UNBC's psychology faculty with an interest in ethics: how we develop them, measuring attitudes, and that kind of thing. We met to explore what if anything I could do to contribute to his new, secondary interest bearing on internet use but spent at least as much time talking about the ethical enactment of modern dilemnas in Sci Fi, children's attraction to Harry Potter, and even the Okal Rel Universe. It's always such a treat when intelligent, thoughtful people show an interest in my heretofore closet existance and resulting ideas. I feel in danger of taking more psychology courses. Maybe a methods course in September. If that's workable, given work, family and writing, I may be at risk. At least I've decided not to take anything else this term. Getting Far Arena done is the priority, and Second Contact too if humanly possible. Feel mildly guilty about playing tonight instead of finishing up the editing for Edge, but can't seem to do anything but creative things in the evening after about 10 p.m. I write drafts, but can't do final proofing; play with photoshop, but can't get myself to to work work; play not-so-creative-games like spider solitaire, Blog, or just read. Otherwise I have trouble getting to sleep.

Recreational Reading

I have a book called The Chess Garden that I got in the $2.99 bin at Book and Company that is a delight. Not sure I am entirely on side with the message regarding the dangers of rationalism but the medium is touching, whimsical and clever. And the cautionary message about reductionist thinking--if that's what it is--doesn't come across too heavy handedly or unqualified to spoil the charm of it. You might enjoy it for the sake of it being based on a series of letters. Also does a an ingenious blending of time, place, fantasy and reality.



Comments: Post a Comment


HOME