Sunday, January 27, 2002
 
Thank you, Dr. Wallsgrove
For saving the sanity of a poor harrassed SF writer. I have spent most of the weekend on line and at the library researching two crucial topics. I wanted to find out about alternative possibilities for proteins, and their compatibility with our form of life. Unfortunately, having a Ph.D. in biochemistry and some years of work in protein structure, and having had the lifelong handicap of not being able to BS my way through things I haven't thought about properly, I have to have worked out whether the biochemistry I'm envisioning is plausible and would have the effect I want it to have - even if it is never talked about in the book. I kept running across references to 150, 300 or 700 non-protein amino acids found in plants, but nothing specific about those amino acids - particularly their effect on our biochemistry. But finally - found a whole book on amino acids in higher plants. Yes!! And some of them have been found hitchhiking on meteorites. They are out there. Before that, while still thrashing, I had a chance to reaquaint myself with the Astrobiology Web and its page on Extremophiles (check out Deinococcus radiodurans - bug with 3000X the radiation resistance of humans; it reassembles its genome from fragments), and with the Astrobiology Institute at NASA, and what's going on with Europa (the IR spectrum of the red streaks on the surface bears an interesting resemblance to the IR spectra of certain extremophiles) and Lake Vostok. I am partial to Lake Vostok (subglacial lake thought to have been isolated by Antarctic ice for millions of years - problem is getting into it without contaminating it).


Comments: Post a Comment


HOME