Sunday, January 18, 2004
 


A message routed to me via one of my Readers for the Future related lists tipped me off about this new initative. The Speculative Literature Foundation is a group of volunteers dedicated to raising the profile of quality Speculative Fiction as literature worthy of study by academics and appreciation by the public. Their website launched this month, Jan 2004.





Portion of e-mail from myself to SLF to say: "Nice to find you"


Pleased to discover your organization. I am a member of Readers for the Future and a science fiction author. I have always viewed intelligent science fiction as literature, and feel it may be a necessary means for our species to create the big mistakes through fictional explorations rather than living them out. I also view speculative fiction as a way to dramatize, "written large", some of the challenges own fascinations and desires impose on our better aspirations, and to inspire ourselves to reach beyond them to a wiser future. Finally, speculative fiction has the power to ask some of the questions we desperately need to confront as the power of our technologies puts the impossible within our reach--and to ask those questions in a way that humanizes both the benefits and pitfalls through narrative.




Comments: Post a Comment


HOME