Friday, March 26, 2004
Rendering to the max
 
Monitum in autumn. The foreground was rendered in Vue, the background created in Terragen, assembled in Photoshop. When Lynda suggested Monitum, I thought the scene should be autumnal, in keeping with that house's decline and mood. (Ditatt would agree with the latter, but he'd be after me with a horsewhip for the former). The infamous blue (the native vegetation that gives Monatese Turquoise its colour and toxicity) is not as evident as it might be because the grass in the foreground is dark green, and there's a blue haze in the background. I might put more yellow into the grass, but it could start to look rather artificial; will think about this. Vue was giving me a red flag on the number of polygons: over 3 million, because of those trees.



Silver Hearth. Rendered in draft, and it still took overnight - though the computer seems to have snoozed off in the middle. It's not so much the time that concerns me, it's the CPU heat generated that concerns me; a G4 runs hot! Before I add Luthan, in all her regalia, which I surely will, I will have to find a shorthand that conveys "chandelier" without putting a 26-light-source object in the middle of the scene. I wonder what the clever people at Pixar use, aside from restraint?



Of course, there is the additional small detail that to get the lustre I wanted for the walls, particularly the midsection, the patterns are colour mapped onto a white translucent material, adding another major computational load.


Comments: Post a Comment


HOME