Friday, October 14, 2005
Review of "The Lorel Experiment"
 

"The Lorel Experiment" was an interesting introduction to the Okal Rel universe, as I had never read any of the other Okal Rel stories. "The Lorel Experiment" provided some interesting food for thought regarding the ethics of human genetic manipulation. The view of a world divided over self-evolved children was a interesting reflection of the reality (at least here in North America) of the limitations placed on science by either ethical or religious sources. I liked where the story went, and I liked the characters. What about Dr. Lorel and Dr. Fox? It seemed like they could have been developed more, but I guess the novella is not the best form for doing so. In fact, I could see all of these short chapters as viable novels with the characters developed more thoroughly. This story will be interesting for those readers who have already read "Throne Price" or other Okal Rel novels, and I am interested in finding out what happens to humanity in the distant Okal Rel future.


Four stars out of five.



by Keith Tedford (reproduced with permission)



Comments: Post a Comment


HOME